Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Night Stories!!!

Two Fairly Liberal Dudes wants your election night stories. Where were you? What did you do? What did you see? Post them in the comments, and we'll pull the best stories to the main page throughout the coming days.

I'll get it kicked off ... I stayed home, which was a good thing, because I completely lost my shit when Obama won. Cried like a baby. At about 1AM, some Education Friends showed up and we drove around until we found a roving pack of celebrating young people. We put on some Kanye West glasses and wandered around the streets chanting "Obama," until one young black man yelled,

"We've gotta give it up for Joe Biden, too!!"

And then we all shrugged and started: "Joe Biden!"

-Education Dude

2 comments:

JKatz said...

I watched the entire night unfold with the Cabana and co. As soon as PA was called right away for Obama, I knew we were in for an easy night (no Philadelphia sports team-like agony).

The highlight of the night was looking around the room during Obama's victory speech and witnessing everyone's eyes tearing up as history took place.

The overall surreal experience was capped off with my cab ride home with R.E. Dudette at 1:00AM. As we cruised down Second Ave, thousands of people were in the streets, jumping on cars, chanting "Yes We Can" in unison.

I will never forget the feeling of unadulterated joy and pride that I felt last night/feel right now.

Anonymous said...

A night with many highlights is hard to recount (particularly when much toasting ensued at each escalating high point), but I will say that the moment Ohio went blue, I caught a chill. And in a bar full of Capitol Hill jockeys, the sort of egos with whom I've rarely found camaraderie, I found two stranger-friends at the bar.

Quickly we discovered that we had less in common than I originally thought, each of the three jockeys was an Ohio native and therefore an Ohio State fan. I'm a University of Michigan alumnus. While a discovery like this has prematurely ended many conversations, this time we all hugged, toasted, and chanted, "Go Blue!"

Sound silly? Maybe it is, but Buckeyes and Wolverines take the rivalry seriously -- And yet we gladly set is aside in support of Obama. Ohio, thanks for not letting us down.